Monday, June 12, 2006


Issaquah Sprint Triathlon!! Of course this is only a pose, but it was cold water--as you can see, most people prepared for it by wearing wetsuits. Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Brady said...

Congrats, Aaron. That looks really fun! How did you do?

We're going to do one once we get over the "I can't swim" phase.

Brady said...

Oh, and Aaron...are you posing as self concious, or just cold? haha

NW Varneys said...

It was definitely cold, but can't afford a wetsuit, so ya just deal with it. Out of 60 guys in my age group, I got 36th. Out of 400+ males overall, I got 200 and something. So I was right in the middle of the pack. I used a neighbor's road bike that he found in the dumpster, and I tell ya, that dumpster road bike was so much better on the road than a mountain bike. If I continue to do these triathlons, I'll definitely get a road bike. But overall, it was a blast. You need to get over your "I can't swim" issues. A guy who did the race with me couldn't swim either. He just sidestroked the swim portion. The kid was a runner though, and caught and passed me there. Too bad my strong event is only a quarter of a mile.

Brady said...

Mine was the 800. You just gotta develop those slow-twitch muscle fibers. (Unfortunately, as you are very aware--Mr. Sports Med--you will lose your fast-twitch in the process...)

NW Varneys said...

What I meant by my strong event was the swimming portion of the tri. You know, swim, bike, run. See I'm stronger at the swimming portion and my friend was stronger at the run portion. I had a quarter of a mile to build my lead. He had 3.5 miles to catch me. But I'm glad your strong event was the 800. And who needs fast-twitch anyway? I'm not going to be entering any dunk contests or winning any sprint competitions any time soon.

Brady said...

So, it looks like we are going to do a sprint triathlon in August. Yikes/Yeah!